The new I-9 forms for agencies and employers went into effect on January 22, 2017. The new forms were published by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) back on November 24, 2016, and called for all employers and hiring firms to trash their old versions of the I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification forms). The new forms have an expiration date of August 31, 2019, and are considered “smarter” and updated versions for reducing common errors.
Employers must be using the new forms, as they are mandatory. However, these forms include a range of enhanced features designed to limit mistakes and expedite form completion more easily.
What’s New on the I-9 Form?
As a ‘smart I-9’ form, the document is an interactive PDF that includes the following new features:
• User-friendly templates with memory retention for easily filling in information.
• Drop-down menus for selecting dates and filling in and/or correcting fields.
• Safety prompts that ensure all information is entered fully and correctly.
• Built-in, embedded or pop-up windows with instructions for completing each field correctly (clickable question marks per field).
• Barcodes that are unique to each form (QR Codes) for identification and audit purposes.
The new I-9 version also has expanded instructions, along with the ability to add multiple preparers (HR personnel). There is also a handful of changes to previous fields, including “Other Names Used.” This particular field has been replaced with “Other Last Names Used,” which is designed to avoid possible identification issues. This field also helps protect against discrimination and ensures the privacy of transgender people.
EDI Staffing and New I-9 Form Assistance
EDI Staffing is a seasoned and reputable IT and EDI staffing agency. With years of extensive industry experience, we continue to meet the growing demands of employers and businesses that span a myriad of industries and niches. EDI Staffing is also on the pulse of the latest employment industry trends and developments. This allows us to offer the best placement services for job seekers and managers looking to expand their horizons. Whether you are looking for work or looking to hire, we can assist you!
Leave a Reply